Category: Kinesiology Taping
Published on Thursday, 02 July 2009 03:20
Written by Joanne Stapensea
Tips for Applying and Wearing Kinesiology Tape
- Clean skin with soap and water, then wipe with rubbing alcohol.
- Remove backing from section 1 and apply to skin with no additional stretch in the tape. Rub lightly and briskly to activate adhesive. Avoid touching the adhesive side of tape with fingers.
- Hold the muscle or joint in a stretched position as you apply the tape over the active area. For most conditions no additional stretching of the tape is necessary.
- Continue removing backing and applying tape, one section at a time. Be sure to rub from the center toward the edges to prevent catching an edge and loosening it.
- Wait 1 hour before getting tape wet, by exercising, swimming or showering.
- To dry tape after exercising, swimming or showering, pat gently with a towel. Do not use a hair dryer – the adhesive is heat-activated, and may become difficult to remove.
- Any edges that begin to peel can be trimmed with scissors to prevent further peeling.
Techniques for Removing Kinesiology Tape
- There are two slightly different techniques for removing kinesiology tape. Try them both and see which is more comfortable for you.
With one hand, press down firmly on the skin at the end of the taped area. Use the other hand to gently roll or peel the tape back. As the tape is lifted, continue to press the other hand as close to the intersection of skin and tape as possible.
- Find a tape end that has loosened and gently pull it straight back with one hand. As you continue to exert a backward pull on the tape, Place the index finger of the other hand where the tape joins the skin, then slide the finger back and forth.
It is more comfortable to remove tape in the direction of hair growth, which is usually away from the center of the body on the trunk, and in a downward direction on the arms or legs.
Tape that is still strongly adhered to skin after 5 days may be loosened by soaking with baby oil or olive oil for 15-20 minutes before attempting to remove it.