Updated review. This is the Gold Standard support. More expensive but worth it. This is Bauerfeind's most popular knee support, the GenuTrain. The GenuTrain was developed in cooperation with a former team physician for the German National Soccer Team and the Medical Director of an Orthopedic Clinic. Bauerfeind AG companies are renowned specialists in the area Orthopedics and Foot Orthopedics and their products have been used by professional and Olympic athletes from soccer players to bobsledders, wrestlers, runners and canoe racers. See the Comparison Chart of Bauerfeind Knee Braces.
Do not confuse with the Bauerfeind GenuTrain P3 or A3. They are different products. This is just plain GenuTrain.
An Active Knee Support
GenuTrain Knee Supports, Bauerfeind's most popular, are used for treating injury, degenerative changes such as arthritis and osteoarthritis and after arthroscopic surgery to facilitate rapid recovery and mobilization.
This comfortable, lightweight breathable support relieves knee pain and swelling during sports or everyday activities.
Can be used to treat:
(links are to articles on the site)
- Knee strains or sprains - A sudden or violent twist or wrench of a joint causing the stretching or twisting of ligaments and often rupture of blood vessels with hemorrhage to the tissues.
- Knee instability
- Recurrent knee pain
- Pre and post-operative knee inflammation - A response from an injury that may be characterized by redness, heat, pain, swelling and loss of function.
- Chondromalacia - (Runner's Knee)- Aching pain behind the kneecap. Pain begins and progresses slowly. It appears in healthy, athletically active young people.
- Arthritis / osteoarthritis - Inflammation of joints
- Degenerative joint disease (osteoarthritis) - (Degenerative Joint Disease)- Arthritis of middle age characterized by degenerative and sometimes hypertrophic changes in the bone and cartilage of one or more joints and a progressive wearing down of opposing joint surfaces with consequent distortion of joint positioning usually without bony stiffening.
Quick Take Features and Benefits
- The contoured silicone insert around the patella leaves the patella pressure-free and gently massages the soft tissue of the joint to improve circulation
- Innovative knit prevents bunching or pinching
- Three dimensional knit with covered patella avoids window edema (accumulation of fluid beneath the skin ) and swelling, yet keeps pressure off the knee cap.
- Breathable knit support provides controlled compression to decrease pain and swelling
- The medial and lateral joint bars and non-elastic straps facilitate optimal knee stabilization
- Graduated compression at the edges prevents constriction of circulation
- Designed to be worn during activity
- Machine washable
- Colors are black, titanium, nature (see above)
- Easy Pull-up sleeve application.
What is it made of?
The GenuTrain is an anatomically contoured knit designed for precise fit and features an incorporated silicone insert. The support that comes in 7 sizes has large range of discrepancies in upper and lower leg proportions. Knee braces by this manufacturer are comfortable and anatomically correct, meaning they work and move with your muscles.
An incorporated silicone insert leaves the patella pressure free and provides intermittent compression to the soft tissue of the joint leading to increased circulation, thus aiding in the resorption of swelling and edema.
Three dimensional knit with covered patella avoids window swelling, yet keeps pressure off the knee cap
It is an open patella that is covered. Why? The knit material lightly covers the patella to prevent swelling in the window area. The dimensional knit does not put excess pressure on the kneecap.
Knee Insert -Silicone Insert
Promotes proprioception (balance), thus heightening sensory awareness in the knee for increased joint stabilization. Graduated compression at the edges prevents constriction of circulation. Innovative knit prevents bunching or pinching. Three dimensional knit with covered patella avoids window edema, yet keeps pressure off the knee cap. Medial and lateral stainless steel stays keep the support from rolling or bunching. Improved, more breathable fabric knit will not retain heat and is machine washable. Easy Pull-up sleeve application.
Knee Activity is supposed to move the padded ring.
Knee activity moves the padded ring, thereby massaging the soft tissue structures (parapatellar). The compression and massage effects accelerate the reabsorption of edema and effusions. Stimulation and support has a positive effect on the sensorimotor system and as a result better muscle control. The pad redistributes the pressure away from the patella to the surrounding soft tissues.
What are the stays made of and what are they for?
The stays are made of spiraled stainless steel (like flat coiled spring) so they are very flexible and won't rust when wet. The stays have plastic tips on the ends so they won't make holes in the material. The stays help prevent the support from rolling. And the stays are surprisingly comfortable.
Finding the Proper Fit
If you are on the bubble in terms of size, CHOOSE THE SMALLER SIZE! Choose by measuring around your leg 4 3/4" below knee and around your leg 5 1/2" above knee. Then choose your color. This particular brace does not require you to choose right or left. The other P3 and A3 GenuTrain braces do.
Because the product is anatomically knit to best fit the body, it has a seam on the side of the support. The seam is very flat and not irritating.
What is the difference between GenuTrain and GenuTrain P3?
The GenuTrain P3 is specifically designed to treat patellar subluxation or shifting. While the GenuTrain has an integrated silicone patella insert, the silicone insert in the P3 has a tracking guide to prevent the patella from shifting out of place. It is also a little bit longer and has 4 stays, rather than 2, because the silicone insert is a lot larger than the GenuTrain insert.